Better results faster
Engaging employees in the innovation process requires more than putting up an idea box, giving them a one-pager to fill out, or giving them time to innovate. To make innovation fun and rewarding, you must provide your innovators with the best possible support, so they can deliver the best possible results.
Through our 20 years of research and practical experience, we know the best possible support consists of giving innovation teams the training and tools they need to act and an innovation process that lets innovators learn and iterate their way to success. The T4 online training platform provides a safe and supportive environment for innovators. It captures what teams do, learn, and deliver when pursuing an innovation project, so they can be given the right support at the right time.
Give your innovation teams the support they deserve and get the best possible return on investment from your innovation activities.
Why sign up for the T4 program?
As an innovator:
- Who else will put structure around your innovation project and help bring your idea to practice?
- Who else will give you objective feedback on your project and progress?
- Who else will help you with identifying the assumptions that need further testing?
- How else are you going to put together a project/product description that is so compelling that your management wants you to explore it further?
- How else are you going to write a convincing business plan?
- How else are you going to put together a team and keep everyone on the same page?
As a manager:
- How else are you going to engage employees and teach teams how to innovate during this pandemic?
- How else will you know what each innovation team is doing, learning, and delivering, now that everyone works from home?
- How else will you know which team needs help and when?
- Who else is going to pressure a team to work on the tough stuff first?
- Who else is going to give tailored feedback that makes team stronger and ideas better?
The building blocks for innovating in the workplace
Let idea owners prove their idea is worth pursuing
We challenge idea owners to prove that their idea is worth pursuing, by giving these innovators the tools and support they need to de-risk their idea and write a compelling business case that deserves funding and attention from senior management.
Real-time data on your progress
The online training helps to keep the team on track and focused. It also makes that all information about each project is conveniently located in one place. Whether you manage just one team or are overseeing a portfolio of 100 teams, you have real-time progress data. Progress reports can be made with one click.
Superior information on each team
Every innovation project is unique. However, all teams go through similar motions to define their project, explore options, and validate their findings. Since team-learning and team-behavior are great predictors of future success, we can identify winning teams, not based on what a team is pursuing, but based on how they are pursuing their goals.
Online innovation program with weekly trainer meetings
Team members often work from different locations. Our platform is 100% online. To keep it personal, we provide weekly meetings with an experienced trainer. The trainer is there to help each team perform even better. They will point out what to focus on, help avoid common pitfalls, and ask critical questions if those need to be raised.
Personal development is included
By offering the guidance as a training to each team, we ensure that the organization and the participants are an experience richer with each project, regardless of the outcome of the project. The hands-on training is an excellent way for your talent to learn soft-skills such as working in a multidisciplinary team.
What our users say:
"Great experience! I gained a lot of knowledge regarding business.
I am in healthcare so I am not used to the business side of things as I typically do not handle those aspects of my practice. This program was superb for teaching me the other side of my career. I was taught how to accurately assess items such as finances, billing, interviewing, and how to think from a business perspective. It definitely made me think outside of the box which was worth it as it taught me so much! I would highly recommend this program!"
Sherry L - Pediatric Nurse Practitioner, Children's Hospital New Orleans
“T4 helped me to develop and value a business idea before I put it to market. After our research, we concluded that the idea would not be a commercial success for our business. Without T4, we either would have put this to market (which would have wasted our time, energy and money) or we would have stayed in the 'what if' mode for a few years. With T4, in just a few weeks, we concluded to focus our energy on other more valuable innovation projects.”
Esther van de Storm – Innovation Booster, Stormpunt
How does it compare to other approaches?
What about Agile, Design Thinking, Lean Startup, Business Model Canvas and other methodologies?
These are great methodologies that address different aspects of the innovation process – see graph below.
The T4 training program helps innovators in the workplace to apply the most valuable tools and concepts of each approach so that they know what to use when, without having to become an expert in each of these tools.
Why a project description?
Is it not better to focus on a product instead of a project description?
We acknowledge that in the Agile community there has been a push to get away from project descriptions towards product descriptions.
However, a product description does not fit the bill to what the T4 program does either. The 4 in the T4 program stands for the (1) Market, (2) Solution, (3) Organization, and (4) Project risks we ask teams to address. Those are the areas we ask teams to address as part of this project description.
So, in fact, it is an MSOP description. We have stuck with a project description because we like to keep things clear.
Is it cost-effective to have your employees engaged in these innovation projects? Is it not more efficient to have an innovation staffer do this work?
The T4 approach is cost-effective because it:
- Results in a more selective innovation process, with more ideas going in, investments in better projects, and overall better outcomes.
- Builds organizational buy-in and commitment for each project as part of the process.
- Combines personal and new product development, so the idea-owner and the organization will be an experience richer regardless of the outcome of the project.
- Incorporates training and innovation management saving the team and organization administrative tasks.
- Puts all information in one place, so the trainer can pro-actively intervene when needed and teams don't waste time going off on a tangent.
- Generates benchmark data that shows how teams perform compared to others, which helps all teams to perform better.
- Saves team members 1-2 hours per week over the course of their innovation project because the T4 training keeps them on task.
The right person?
Is the idea-owner the most suitable person to do this work?
We don't expect idea-owners to drive their entire project from idea to implementation. That would be unreasonable and ineffective. We ask them to be in the driver seat at a minimum to develop a convincing project description and compelling business case. Because who else would be better equipped to explain what a great opportunity it is?
As part of the process, we encourage idea-owners to build a team. First, because innovation is a team sport. Second, because we know that many different skill-sets are needed to bring an idea to practice.
Thus, we require idea-owners to put their project on the rails and help the team to prepare for others to take over, if that is in the best interest of the project.
What to expect?
The picture below shows the default path of training modules for the Get Started program. Since each team is unique, we tailor the content of the training to the needs of each team by switching modules out and/or changing the order.